Recent posts from
a blog co authored by Rabbi Shafner
- The Missing Question: How Do We Experience Authority? – By Rabbi Josh Feigelson
- Fri, 16 Jan 2015 13:59:27 +0000 - This past fall, the Orthodox/halakhic community experienced the most honest public conversation about itself that I think I’ve ever seen. The arrest and investigation of Rabbi Barry Freundel opened up a series of powerful conversations. Husbands and wives talked about gender roles in Jewish law; friends talked about their feelings about rabbis and Jewish law […]
- What is Chanukah? by Rabbi Steve Greenberg
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:29:38 +0000 - What is Chanukah? This is how the Talmud begins its short foray into the origins of Chanukah. Remarkably, there is very little material in the Talmud on Chanukah. While Purim has a tractate all its own, Chanukah merits a few scattered lines and a number of minor mentions. Chanukah was apparently not very much appreciated […]
- The Torah Value of Decentralized Power -by Rabbi Hyim Shafner
- Wed, 29 Oct 2014 04:30:22 +0000 - Recently a prominent Orthodox rabbi was arrested for voyeurism, for putting cameras in a mikvah. Much has been written already about what must be learned from this horrific abuse of power. Perhaps rabbis require more oversight and annual reviews, perhaps there should be more women’s leadership around issues of mikvah, tighter security at mikvaot, etc. […]
04/13: Rabbi Shafner comments on the experience of LGBT Orthodox Jews in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Bais Abraham fundraiser welcomes Rabbi Marc Angel
Bais Abraham welcomes noted historian for talk on archaeological discoveries
Bais Abraham, Torah MiTzion offer family learning series
God, with Training Wheels: Rabbi Hyim Shafner has been blowing his shofar for weeks now.
Bais Abraham's Purim Seudah A Success
Bais Abe focuses on feminism and Orthodox Judaism
First woman president of a St. Louis modern orthodox synagogue
Orthodoxy and Diversity: How Open Should Our Communities Be?
A Passover message from Rabbi Shafner
Bais Abe offers Hebrew language immersion Sunday School
Aliyah Schneider, a former St. Louisan and participant in
the 'WUJS: Land, Language, and Society' program in Israel,
was recently interviewed by the St. Louis Jewish Federation.
When asked what she misses about St. Louis, she had this to say:
"Bais Abe. A shul like Bais Abe doesn't exist in
Jerusalem. It's diverse; it's out-of-the-box. It's me."
To read the full article, click
Bais Abraham hosts Midwest JOFA Conference
Bais Abraham alumna in Israel remembers her unique Shul