Recent posts from
a blog co authored by Rabbi Shafner
- And the Lord God Said, “You’re not about sex”. by Yosef Kanefsky
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:29:18 +0000 - The topic this time is not one I would have chosen, rather one that’s been thrust upon us all: the story of a religious leader who has grossly violated the trust that his community has placed in him, and who has grossly violated the dignity and the sacred humanity of his parishioners. There are a […]
- Pregnancy and the New Year -by Maharat Rori Picker Neiss
- Tue, 07 Oct 2014 13:16:09 +0000 - (Rori Picker Neiss is the Maharat at Bais Abraham Congregation in St. Louis, MO) I remember when I first found out that I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, Daria. It was just over four years ago. I had suspected that I might be pregnant, and yet, nothing could have prepared me for that […]
- Another Perspective on Pregnant and Nursing Women Fasting
- Thu, 02 Oct 2014 19:54:05 +0000 - Guest post by Miriam Gedwiser [I'd like to thank Maharat Rachel Kohl Finegold for giving me this forum to respond to her post, and more generally to parallel conversations going on in various fora.] Last year around this time my daughter announced to her preschool class that I was not fasting on Yom Kippur because […]
04/13: Rabbi Shafner comments on the experience of LGBT Orthodox Jews in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Bais Abraham fundraiser welcomes Rabbi Marc Angel
Bais Abraham welcomes noted historian for talk on archaeological discoveries
Bais Abraham, Torah MiTzion offer family learning series
God, with Training Wheels: Rabbi Hyim Shafner has been blowing his shofar for weeks now.
Bais Abraham's Purim Seudah A Success
Bais Abe focuses on feminism and Orthodox Judaism
First woman president of a St. Louis modern orthodox synagogue
Orthodoxy and Diversity: How Open Should Our Communities Be?
A Passover message from Rabbi Shafner
Bais Abe offers Hebrew language immersion Sunday School
Aliyah Schneider, a former St. Louisan and participant in
the 'WUJS: Land, Language, and Society' program in Israel,
was recently interviewed by the St. Louis Jewish Federation.
When asked what she misses about St. Louis, she had this to say:
"Bais Abe. A shul like Bais Abe doesn't exist in
Jerusalem. It's diverse; it's out-of-the-box. It's me."
To read the full article, click
Bais Abraham hosts Midwest JOFA Conference
Bais Abraham alumna in Israel remembers her unique Shul