Recent posts from
a blog co authored by Rabbi Shafner
- The Waning Moon of Elul by Yosef Kanefsky
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 05:38:39 +0000 - A couple of years ago I read an essay entitled The ‘Busy’ Trap written by a fellow named Tim Krieder. Although I hadn’t thought about the essay much since then, it came flooding back to me in a sudden torrent last week, as I watched the moon of Elul wane. Here’s the essay’s opening paragraph: […]
- There’s Enough Room in the Heart. by Yosef Kanefsky
- Mon, 04 Aug 2014 08:30:48 +0000 - I know it’s an absurd question. So I’ll only entertain it for a moment. The eighth verse of Eicha (Lamentations) simply and plainly states that the Jews of Judea were themselves responsible for the Destruction of Jerusalem and the Exile from the land. “Jerusalem sinned grievously, and therefore became an abandoned outcast”. This assertion is […]
- IRF Supplement for Tisha B’Av 5774/2014
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:15:13 +0000 - IRF Supplement for Tisha b’Av 5774/2014 Guide to the observance of the fast with reflections on the day’s meaning from our friends at the IRF
04/13: Rabbi Shafner comments on the experience of LGBT Orthodox Jews in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Bais Abraham fundraiser welcomes Rabbi Marc Angel
Bais Abraham welcomes noted historian for talk on archaeological discoveries
Bais Abraham, Torah MiTzion offer family learning series
God, with Training Wheels: Rabbi Hyim Shafner has been blowing his shofar for weeks now.
Bais Abraham's Purim Seudah A Success
Bais Abe focuses on feminism and Orthodox Judaism
First woman president of a St. Louis modern orthodox synagogue
Orthodoxy and Diversity: How Open Should Our Communities Be?
A Passover message from Rabbi Shafner
Bais Abe offers Hebrew language immersion Sunday School
Aliyah Schneider, a former St. Louisan and participant in
the 'WUJS: Land, Language, and Society' program in Israel,
was recently interviewed by the St. Louis Jewish Federation.
When asked what she misses about St. Louis, she had this to say:
"Bais Abe. A shul like Bais Abe doesn't exist in
Jerusalem. It's diverse; it's out-of-the-box. It's me."
To read the full article, click
Bais Abraham hosts Midwest JOFA Conference
Bais Abraham alumna in Israel remembers her unique Shul