Recent posts from
a blog co authored by Rabbi Shafner
- Jewish Strength and Jewish Beauty in a Time of War by Yosef Kanefsky
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:10:44 +0000 - There is no strength like the strength which emanates from one’s moral core. There is no beauty like the beauty which radiates from one’s innermost soul. The Jewish moral core and innermost soul are the ones that have been shaped and formed over thousands of years by the words of our teachers and sages. Consider […]
- My brethren in Gaza by Rabbi Hyim Shafner
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 02:59:04 +0000 - I feel terrible for the people of Gaza. They live under the rule of a violent oppressor. But their oppressor is not Israel, it is Hamas, a terrorist entity whose very name means anger and whose actions seem to so revolve around war and hatred, that they cannot spend adequate money, time, or effort on the welfare […]
- Why Don’t the Women Sing in Shul?
- Fri, 18 Jul 2014 02:54:11 +0000 - by Maharat Rachel Kohl Finegold Today, a friend told me of a question her three-year-old daughter asked her in shul on Shabbat: “Mommy, why do only the men sing in shul?” She was not referring to the fact that only men lead the davening or read from the Torah. She was noticing that when the […]
04/13: Rabbi Shafner comments on the experience of LGBT Orthodox Jews in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Bais Abraham fundraiser welcomes Rabbi Marc Angel
Bais Abraham welcomes noted historian for talk on archaeological discoveries
Bais Abraham, Torah MiTzion offer family learning series
God, with Training Wheels: Rabbi Hyim Shafner has been blowing his shofar for weeks now.
Bais Abraham's Purim Seudah A Success
Bais Abe focuses on feminism and Orthodox Judaism
First woman president of a St. Louis modern orthodox synagogue
Orthodoxy and Diversity: How Open Should Our Communities Be?
A Passover message from Rabbi Shafner
Bais Abe offers Hebrew language immersion Sunday School
Aliyah Schneider, a former St. Louisan and participant in
the 'WUJS: Land, Language, and Society' program in Israel,
was recently interviewed by the St. Louis Jewish Federation.
When asked what she misses about St. Louis, she had this to say:
"Bais Abe. A shul like Bais Abe doesn't exist in
Jerusalem. It's diverse; it's out-of-the-box. It's me."
To read the full article, click
Bais Abraham hosts Midwest JOFA Conference
Bais Abraham alumna in Israel remembers her unique Shul